USANA® Procosa® Helps You Move Free for a Life You Love*
Procosa is unique because it combines the InCelligence Joint-Support Complex—made of vegetarian glucosamine and Meriva® Bioavailable Curcumin—with vitamin C. These ingredients provide benefits you can feel and see:
- Broad support for joint health, function, and comfort*
- Skin health, firmness, and hydration*
No matter the game plan you have for your life, maintaining an active, independent lifestyle is the way to win. Procosa can help you live without limits, so you can achieve your version of victory.*
- 1 Preserving Healthy Joints Hinges on Your Lifestyle
- 2 Comprehensive Joint Support with Procosa Helps You Keep Moving Forward*
- 3 Protect and Renew Your Joint Health with InCelligence Technology®
- 4 Procosa Could Help You Look as Great as Your Joints Feel
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions About Procosa
It’s pretty easy to take your joints for granted. But life would be really difficult without them, because they allow you to move freely. That’s why it’s so important to take care of healthy joints.
Your body has a few different types of joints. The most common is what’s known as a synovial joint. This is the type that has the greatest range of motion, allowing your bones to move together. You can thank these joints for your ability to run, climb, dance, wave at a friend, or hug a loved one.
Synovial joints are unique, because they’re the only type of joint that has a narrow space between your bones—the joint cavity. These spaces are filled with synovial fluid, which consists mostly of hyaluronic acid. This fluid lubricates and provides nutrients to the cartilage that caps the end of your bones. It also acts like a shock absorber to cushion the joints. The entire joint is enclosed by a capsule made of connective tissue along with ligaments and tendons that help keep the joint stable.
Take a closer look inside your joints.
Articular cartilage is the type of cartilage that caps the ends of your bones. It’s made of highly specialized joint cells (chondrocytes) that are suspended in a gel-like environment called the extracellular matrix. The chondrocytes are responsible for producing the substances that make up that environment. Within the matrix, you’ll find water, collagen, and other non-collagen proteins. It also contains proteoglycans, which are sugars linked to proteins that bind the water needed to lubricate the joint.*
Joint lubrication doesn’t just come from water. Synovial fluid is a thick liquid created by a membrane that lines the joint cavity. The fluid is made primarily of hyaluronic acid, which is another type of sugar—a glycosaminoglycan.
Your body uses the amino sugar glucosamine to support the production of proteoglycans and glycosaminoglycans.
Keeping your joints healthy will allow the bones to continue moving together comfortably, helping you stay fit and active.
So, what can you do to preserve the health of your joints?
Try to stay safe out there. Obviously, nobody sets out to get hurt. But injuries can take a toll on your joints.
Otherwise, the most common lifestyle factors that impact your joint health and function are age, genetics, weight, and activity-induced wear and tear. You can’t stop the clock or change your genes. But you can help preserve healthy, flexible joints to keep your body moving in a few key ways:
- Manage your weight to avoid the excessive pressure that could change the structure of your joints.
- Get enough moderate exercise to keep your body fit, because your joints need the support of strong bones and muscles for stability. Plus, staying active will help maintain healthy articular cartilage, which requires regular joint movement and dynamic, load-bearing pressure for proper function.
- Eat a varied, healthy diet and give your joints the nutrients that will help them stay healthy every day.
Once the cartilage that caps your bones is gone, it’s gone. This is why it’s important to focus on preserving what you have. Procosa can help by providing essential building blocks for compounds needed to support stable, flexible, and strong joints.*
- Vitamin C is critical to the production of collagen to support the strength and stability of your connective tissues.*
- Manganese helps give collagen its strength. It also plays a role in the production of synovial fluid.*
- Glucosamine encourages the production of collagen and hyaluronic acid to help lubricate and maintain the healthy function of your joints.*
Glucosamine is naturally formed by the body, but it can also come from a supplement. Three tablets of Procosa a day provides 1,500 mg of glucosamine hydrochloride (HCl). This will help ensure your body has a supply available when needed to produce the fluids that lubricate your joints. This becomes especially important as you age, because the levels of hydration in your joints will naturally decline.*
Research backs up the benefits of glucosamine supplementation. Many knee studies have shown joint health benefits associated with taking glucosamine. This includes demonstrating that joint space can be better maintained with supplementation.*
Most supplements provide a form of glucosamine derived from shellfish. USANA offers a vegetarian formula by using a high-quality glucosamine HCl instead. By blending the HCl form of glucosamine with potassium and magnesium sulfate, Procosa provides the same benefits of glucosamine sulfate without using animal-based ingredients.
Procosa is not your typical joint supplement. Many deliver glucosamine with chondroitin sulfate. However, an observational study showed that using glucosamine along with Meriva® Bioavailable Curcumin Complex is more effective than the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate. This enhanced effectiveness is why you will find the two ingredients in Procosa’s unique InCelligence Joint-Support Complex.
You’ve already read about the glucosamine in Procosa. But what is the Meriva Bioavailable Curcumin Complex?
Curcumin (Curcuma longa L.) is the yellow compound that comes from turmeric. It’s well-known for its antioxidant properties. However, traditionally, you’d have to use a lot of this phytonutrient to get the benefits, because it’s poorly absorbed. Meriva® is an innovative phytosome that combines the curcumin with a phospholipid (a type of fat from soy lecithin). This helps the curcumin pass through cell membranes more easily.*
Are phytosomes and liposomes the same thing?
You may see some products on the market labeled as curcumin liposomes. While both liposomes and phytosomes help improve the bioavailability of curcumin, they are structurally different. Liposomes encapsulate curcumin in the middle of a group of lipid molecules, rather than fully integrating the curcumin within each lipid molecule. In other words, phytosomes create a chemical bond between the curcumin and the lipid rather than acting as a package for it. This means more of the active ingredient is contained in each phytosome molecule. So, a smaller dose can provide the desired results. The phytosome structure has been shown to be a better delivery system.
Research has shown that the curcumin-lipid complex in Meriva is nearly 30 times more bioavailable than standard curcumin preparations. So, you get the benefits of curcumin, but at a significantly lower dose.
And Meriva offers benefits you can feel. The phytosome has been shown to support many measures of joint health, including treadmill walking and subjective assessments of joint function and performance.*
Curcumin and glucosamine aren’t your average nutrients. They do more than nourish cells. They also can help turn on processes that your body naturally uses to support joint cells. These processes may have slowed down because of age or other lifestyle factors.*
The InCelligence Joint-Support Complex is designed to promote three important activities:
- Cartilage cells (chondrocytes) maintain healthy function through a natural quality-control process called autophagy. This renews optimal joint-cell function to help preserve healthy articular cartilage and support healthy joint aging.*
- Exercise can stimulate the immune system and result in temporary inflammation, which is part of the body’s natural recovery mechanisms. Proactively promoting a healthy immune and inflammatory response after exercise helps restore normal structure and function to joints and tendons.*
- Excessive oxidative stress can damage the structure of your joint cells and tissues; cartilage is especially vulnerable. Curcumin (along with the vitamin C in Procosa) provides antioxidant activity and encourages the production of your body’s natural antioxidant enzymes, like glutathione, for powerful protection against oxidative damage.*
Some words may have seemed familiar as you’ve read about how Procosa supports your joints: hyaluronic acid and collagen. You often hear these words in a different context—skin health.*
By promoting the production of these important compounds, Procosa may also offer benefits for your skin’s appearance.
- Glucosamine has been shown to have positive effects on the health of skin cells and hydration by aiding the production of hyaluronic acid—a key molecule for your skin’s moisture.*
- Vitamin C supports the skin’s firmness and elasticity because it’s essentials to the production of collagen—one of the main structural proteins in the epidermis.*
Supplementation with both glucosamine and vitamin C has been associated with maintaining a youthful appearance. So, taking Procosa may also help keep you looking as great as your joints feel.*
Give your skin and body even more of what it needs to stay healthy and vibrant, inside and out. Try using Celavive Skincare products to support a radiant appearance. And help keep your body fit by maintaining healthy bones and muscles, as well as flexible joints. You can do that by including the CellSentials, BiOmega, and MagneCal D in your daily supplement routine.*
Frequently Asked Questions About Procosa
Can I take Procosa if I’m allergic to sulfur?
Individuals who are allergic to sulfa drugs may mistake sulfa and sulfur as being the same substance. Sulfa is an abbreviated name for a specific type of antibiotics called sulfonamides.
Sulfur, on the other hand, is an essential mineral found in nearly all proteins, vitamin B1, and multiple amino acids. It is not possible to be allergic to sulfur because the body cannot function properly without it.
Sulfate is simply a combination of the elements sulfur and oxygen and is naturally present in relatively high concentrations in human blood.
No USANA product—including Procosa—contains sulfa drugs (sulfonamides).
Will glucosamine affect my blood sugar levels?
Glucosamine, an active ingredient in Procosa, is chemically classified as an “amino sugar.” This is not the same as the sugars glucose, sucrose, fructose, etc., which provide energy in the form of calories.
Glucosamine contains no calories and will not generally affect blood glucose levels.
Procosa is generally appropriate for those with diabetes. However, it is always advisable to check with a physician or pharmacist before starting any new diet or supplement regimen.
How long does it take for Procosa to work?
Because articular cartilage does not contain any blood vessels, it receives nutrients more slowly by absorbing them from its surroundings. Research has shown that glucosamine plus exercise can demonstrate differences for some people between four and 12 weeks. Your results may vary.
You May Also Enjoy
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.